GASTRIC BAND BENEFITS
45% of people resolved their sleep apnea11,12
Health conditions resolved or improved due to
gastric band procedures†:
REALIZE® Band* and port design benefits
- The sophisticated balloon design reduces potential for tissue trauma.16
- The REALIZE® Band* is the widest band available (23 mm). A wider band decreases the potential for band slippage.16
- No adjustable gastric band has a lower leak rate than the REALIZE Band.30
- Using no sutures (stitches), REALIZE Band patients may experience less port site pain and up to 19% less time under anesthesia than LAP-BAND® System patients, whose ports are attached with sutures.
- The lowest profile port design to minimize the appearance under the skin, even as you lose weight.
ABOUT BAND FILLS
Gastric band adjustments and band fills
Periodic adjustments to your band will ensure that you feel satisfied when you eat and that you keep losing weight gradually, about 1 to 2 pounds per week. The REALIZE Adjustable Gastric Band* is one-size-fits-all, which means your bariatric surgeon won't have to decide which size to use during your surgery.
Band adjustments help you meet your weight loss goals
The REALIZE Band is adjustable, which allows your surgeon to personalize your band fit over time. After an adjustment, you'll be satisfied with less food so you can keep losing weight gradually (1 to 2 pounds per week).
Adjusting your band fit over time
Your first band adjustment will probably be scheduled about 1 week after you begin to eat solid food (4 to 6 weeks after surgery), to ensure that your stomach is healed. As you lose weight, your REALIZE Band fit will change. Periodic band adjustments help ensure that you stay on track to meet your weight loss goals.
Just 5 to 10 minutes
Fast and easy band adjustments take place at your surgeon's office or bariatric clinic—and they do not require more surgery. An adjustment in which fluid is added is referred to as a "fill." In this case a small amount of saline is added through the REALIZE Port, which is located in the abdomen, just under the skin. The saline travels through the tube and into the band, making the band fit more snugly around your stomach. This reduces the size of the opening between the upper and lower stomach pouches and causes food to empty from your upper stomach pouch more slowly. That's why you'll feel full sooner and stay satisfied longer after a band fill. An adjustment can also involve removing saline from the band through the port.
Your band adjustment schedule
There is no set schedule for band adjustments because each person's needs are different. Listening to your band (paying attention to physical signs) and tracking your weight loss will help you to know when it may be time for an adjustment.
The REALIZE Port has the lowest profile of any injection port to minimize its appearance under the skin, even as you lose weight.16
Learn more about band fills at an information seminar
If you're considering adjustable gastric banding, we encourage you to attend an information seminar hosted by a REALIZE Band trained surgeon. You'll learn about surgical options, you'll meet bariatric team members who will support you before and long after your surgery, and you may also hear from patients who have had weight loss surgery. There's no pressure to make a commitment—and no better way to get the answers you're looking for. Of course, family and friends are welcome, too.
Use our seminar finder to locate a seminar in your area, and register to ensure that you have a seat because seminars often fill up.
Want to talk it over? We're ready to help. Call us at 1-855-2-REALIZE if you have questions or concerns or want help finding a seminar near you.
The REALIZE® Band* has more than 20 years of clinical experience
The REALIZE Adjustable Gastric Band is a safe and effective weight loss tool, supported by more than 20 years of worldwide clinical experience and ongoing innovation. Outside the United States, the REALIZE Band is known as the Swedish Adjustable Gastric Band (SAGB), and it has been used in patients since 1986. Patient safety and comfort are the main principles that guided the design of the SAGB. More than 20 years of data confirm the successful performance of the original soft, low-pressure balloon design. Today, the makers of the REALIZE Band still put patient safety and comfort first. No adjustable gastric band is safer or more effective for weight loss than the REALIZE Band.30
Shown to help patients achieve and maintain a healthier weight
Patients in a 3-year clinical trial:
- Lost a mean of 40% of their excess weight at 1 year and 43% at 3 years.16
- Were able to reduce their (average) BMI from 44 to 36 in the first year after surgery. Patients were able to maintain their reduced BMI through their third year.16
In the U.S., REALIZE Band patients in a clinical trial experienced a significant reduction in the key indicator of type 2 diabetes16
Designed with your safety and comfort in mind
- The REALIZE Injection Port has the lowest profile of any injection port to minimize its appearance under the skin, even as you lose weight.16
- As the widest band available (23 mm), the REALIZE Band is designed to decrease the potential for band slippage.16 If a band slips, it will need to be replaced or adjusted in another surgical procedure
- No adjustable gastric band has a lower leak rate than the REALIZE Band.30 If a band leaks, it will need to be removed and replaced, requiring a second surgical procedure.
For information about the differences between the two bands, and about all of your surgical weight loss options, we encourage you to attend a bariatric surgery information seminar, hosted by a REALIZE Band trained surgeon. It's a great way to learn about the risks and benefits of bariatric surgery, as well as the differences between gastric bands.
Clinical studies of laparoscopic bariatric and metabolic surgery patients found that they felt better after the procedure, and spent more time doing recreational and physical activities. They also benefited from enhanced productivity and economic opportunities, and had more self-confidence than they did prior to surgery.11