Compare REALIZE® Band with the LAP-BAND System
The LAP-BAND System and REALIZE® Adjustable Gastric Band comparison
The REALIZE Band has more than 20 years of clinical experience
The REALIZE Adjustable Gastric Band is a safe and effective weight loss tool, supported by more than 20 years of worldwide clinical experience and ongoing innovation. Outside the United States, the REALIZE Band is known as the Swedish Adjustable Gastric Band (SAGB), and it has been used in patients since 1986. Patient safety and comfort are the main principles that guided the design of the SAGB. More than 20 years of data confirm the successful performance of the original soft, low-pressure balloon design. Today, the makers of the REALIZE Band still put patient safety and comfort first.
No adjustable gastric band is safer or more effective for weight loss than the REALIZE Band.3
Shown to help patients achieve and maintain a healthier weight
Patients in a 3-year clinical trial:
- Lost a mean of 40% of their excess weight at 1 year and 43% at 3 years.1
- Were able to reduce their (average) BMI from 44 to 36 in the first year after surgery. Patients were able to maintain their reduced BMI through their third year.1
In the U.S., REALIZE Band patients in a clinical trial experienced a significant reduction in the key indicator of type 2 diabetes.1
Designed with your safety and comfort in mind
- The REALIZE Injection Port has the lowest profile of any injection port to minimize its appearance under the skin, even as you lose weight.1
- As the widest band available (23 mm), the REALIZE Band is designed to decrease the potential for band slippage.1 If a band slips, it will need to be replaced or adjusted in another surgical procedure.
- No adjustable gastric band has a lower leak rate than the REALIZE Band.3 If a band leaks, it will need to be removed and replaced, requiring a second surgical procedure.
For information about the differences between the two bands, and about all of your surgical weight loss options, we encourage you to attend a bariatric surgery information seminar, hosted by a REALIZE Band trained surgeon. It's a great way to learn about the risks and benefits of bariatric surgery, as well as the differences between gastric bands.